Have you ever wondered if your metabolism is fast or slow? Is a slow metabolism the reason you can’t lose weight? Now, your question can be answered with a 10-minute breathing test that will determine the exact number of calories you burn each day. Using a REEVUE indirect calorimeter, the air you breathe out is analyzed to determine how much oxygen your body consumes which scientifically reveals your resting metabolic rate. After completing the test, an exact target calorie level can be set to ensure weight loss, maintenance or gain, depending on your needs. You will also be given personal strategies on how to maximize your metabolism.
Preparing for Your REEVUE® Metabolic Rate Testing
Your REEVUE® Metabolic Rate Test will determine your minimum daily calories needed and your true resting metabolic rate (RMR). Several activities can alter the measures of your resting metabolic rate. If anything listed is unclear, please call us at (323) 371-5556 so that we can clarify it for you.
Before your Test, AVOID the following:
- DO NOT eat for 4 hours before coming to the office for your metabolic test.
- DO NOT eat a meal heavy in protein (meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy) for 12 hours before. Protein increases your metabolic rate, eating carbohydrates raises your metabolic rate less than protein, and eating fats raises it less than carbohydrates.
- DO NOT Exercise for 4 hours before coming to the clinic or any activity that raises your heart rate such as walking briskly on a flat surface or up stairs. When you walk up stairs, do so leisurely.
- DO NOT smoke one for at least 1 hour before coming for your test.
- DO NOT take any over-the-counter drugs, herbal or nutritional supplements the morning that you come for the test.
- DO NOT take caffeine or eat caffeine-containing foods such as chocolate 4 hours before the test.
Before your Test, Activities you must do:
Drink 2-3 eight (8) ounce glasses of water before coming to the office for your test. Relax. Before the test, avoid stressful situations as much as possible. During the test, it’s important that you RELAX. Being tense can increase your metabolic rate.
|Activity to Avoid||Hours Before the Test|
|No Eating a meal heavy in Protein||12|
|No Alcohol consumption||24|
|No Smoking cigarettes||1|
|No Over the counter drugs||8|
|No Herbal or Nutritional Supplements||4|
Adapted from “How to Prepare for Your Metabolic Evaluation” by Dr. John C Lowe, PLLC. © John C. Lowe 2008